Sunday, February 25, 2007

Directions vs. Instructions

I keep getting the two confused Lord. I know the difference: Instructions are part a lesson to teach me how to assemble my life whereas directions are pointers that are marked to get me from one location to another.

The problem, I think, is that sometime I need directions on how to follow the instructions and other times I need instructions on how to understand the directions given to me. Ask any parent who has assemble Christmas toys for their kids or anyone who has tried to load new software on to a computer – they understand what I’m talking about.

It’s difficult then to know when the directions end and the instructions begin and visa versa. Even Webster crosses the line, inappropriately (in my humble opinion) interchanging the two words: To me it seems obvious Lord, that one indicates a “point to point” outline resulting in arrival at a specific destination while the other suggests a teaching event with a completed task as the result.

In the RUT world, I think there’s maybe an easier way to help distinguish between the two. Help me Adonai, as I try to clarify my understanding: As I Trek my RUT, I have a specific destination in mind, and to get to that destination, I have to look for the footprints stamped in place by others ahead of me on the route. These markers are there to help those coming along keep on the correct path. Stepping outside the metaphor for a minute, these “Trek Signs” are typically either friendly advice that says “this is how I made it this far”, or they could be warnings, “don’t try this method, it doesn’t work,” or it could be words of encouragement, “If you do this and go here, you’ll get where you want to be.

Instructions, as I understand them Master, are more like the apparel I put on or take off during my journey. They protect me and / or “stylize” the Trek making up part of the character of who I am (or will become) along the way. Instructions might also be the conversations I have with those trekking along side me, or they could be the words of an “historical marker” posted for me to review. None of these necessarily help me arrive at my destination, but they can inspire me to continue and help me improve the conditions of my Trek as I continue forward.

Regardless Master, I need both instruction and direction within my RUTted existence. One without the other causes me to be uninspired or confused and will make the trek seem obstructed with boredom, or uncertainty; or both. That’s when I start to get bogged down; when my Repetitive Unchanging Trajectory (RUT) looses it value and adventure. Suddenly I find myself in a Periodic (or Permanent) Interrupted Trajectory (PIT) and that’s when I lose hope and faith – in me, in You; in the dreams we share.

What is the point of this Lord? Why do I need to distinguish between the two? Because if I mistake Instruction for Direction; I might unintentionally focus on developing my character with no destination in mind. If I think that my Direction is my Instruction, I might become disenchanted and then easily distracted to leave my dream path. I need to understand both the purpose of “who” I am (instruction), as well as the result of “where” I am (direction) in order to continue discovering adventure in the routine of my life.

OK, so now that we’ve got that straight, I only then need to discover what the best source of both instruction and direction would be along the Trek. I would think that a consistent and reliable source would be best. The source would have to be easily understood and the delineation between instruction and direction would have to be clear. Now in what source would all of these attributes be present and easily accessible… what source indeed Lord?

RUT ON!

Mark A. Cornelius

No comments: